22 Jun Library Reopening on July 7th
The Shelby County Public Library Board of Trustees has authorized a reopening plan with a tentative opening date of Tuesday, July 7th with modified hours of operation. The new hours of operation will continue until further notice and are:
- 10 AM–4 PM on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday;
- 10 AM–6 PM on Thursday; and
- 10 AM–1 PM on Saturday.
When the library reopens, several new rules and procedures will be in effect:
- Twenty-five (25) patrons will be allowed in the library building at one time.
- All patrons must enter and exit from the rear entrance of the library (near College Street parking lots).
- Library staff will wear face masks at all times and gloves when applicable, and patrons are encouraged to do so as well. SCPL will provide a disposable face mask to patrons who do not have one.
- Every other computer station will be disabled to allow for social distancing requirements and computer sessions will be limited to one (1) hour per patron, per day.
- Social distancing of at least six feet will be encouraged by library staff; book stacks have been converted to one-way aisles and plexiglass shields are being installed at both circulation desks.
- The Reference and Genealogy section will be available by appointment only. (Appointments can be made online at scplibrary.net or by phone at (502) 633-3803.)
- Curbside service will continue on a limited basis after the building reopens.
“We are excited about re-opening the library building to the public,” said Library Director Pamela Federspiel. “We know the community misses being able to come in and look around for a book or DVD and interact with the staff. The library building has been closed for the past three months, but the staff has been hard at work preparing for curbside service, this year’s Summer Reading Program, and the reopening of the library.”
From the beginning of its closure, SCPL has been clear that the library will reopen gradually and safely. Because there is a limit on the number of patrons able to enter the building, there is a chance that patrons will have to wait outside before being allowed into the building. Programming and events will not resume on July 7th.